I started this post in early June before the school year ended ... but somehow it got buried in the chaos of summertime before I could finish. On Monday, I was reminded about it after reading about Kerri's back-to-school bedtime story for her son - then yesterday, Mary Katherine posted the most beautiful photos of their bookshelves and I got inspired to do exactly the same (thanks, MK!) - thanks, ladies, for reminding me to dig this one out and finish it up ...
_________________________________________________

Since my earliest days of motherhood, I've been an avid reader with my girls. It started in the final weeks of my first pregnancy - I'd read classic bedtime stories like Goodnight Moon to my big belly each night. And a couple of years later, my toddler-sized ladybug and I would read stories to the little ladybug in the weeks before her birth, too. We chose books like Eric Carle's Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See, hoping that those fun rhymes would elicit a response from the baby inside.
Happily, the girls wound up loving books as much as I do and reading together became a huge part of their early days, especially at bedtime ... it's so heartwarming to me that all these years later, they still enjoy a good bedtime story and often choose from those earliest books in our now-enormous library. From classic stories like Guess How Much I Love You and Are You My Mother? to rhyming books like Go Dogs Go, Jamberry, and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, the girls continue to love these titles just as much as when they were little. And even though my big ladybug has studied complex books like Tuck Everlasting and Bridge to Terabithia at school, she still loves to curl up with me from time to time to read good old Curious George or Olivia. What could be better? For me, this is pure bliss.


Tonight (okay, so this night was actually back in June ...) was one of those blissful nights where the 3 of us ladybugs read one of our all time favorites and it's left me with a case of the warm-n-fuzzies. It's the 1942 book The Little House, written and illustrated by the incredible Virginia Lee Burton (who also authored Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel among others). If you haven't read this gem of a story, you really must take the time for this classic - still as magical today as it was when it was written 68 years ago.
It's the story of a sweet little cottage built in the countryside long ago - she is filled with love by the generations of family who grow up there over the years ... but alas, the noisy and intrusive city boundaries start to creep out into the country, consuming space all around her, and she goes abandoned and into disrepair. But happy is the day when the little house is recognized by a young woman as the house her great great grandfather had built. From there, the house gets carefully transported back out to the country where she is once again filled with the laughter and love of a family. The illustrations are incredibly charming as the house goes from loved to neglected and back to loved again ...

... combined with such a heartwarming ending, what could be better?! It's one that we've been reading for years and years ... along with a whole library of other classics you can see here (again, full creative credit on these pics goes to MK!) ...
These three photos are just a small taste of what we've got around the house for my ladybugs ... when I saw Mary Katherine's photos, I immediately recognized the great majority of their books and felt right at home ... does anyone reading now feel the same way? Do you still enjoy the blessing of a bedtime story with your kids? What are some of your favorite titles? Can't wait to hear ...


10 comments:
I too recognize so many of your books! We have always read books at bedtime...such a nice way to relax and end the day. I love the oldies..but I took childrens literature in college and I have to say I think the books that are out now just keep getting better and better. Not sure I can pick a favorite...seems I have one at every age level! My husband and sons favorite to read together is "Where the Wild Things Are".
Great post...makes me want to take a picture of my son's bookshelf!
books. . .one of my favorite things and children's books?? Well, it must be the teacher in me coming out because I love, love,love them.
I have in the barn an unfinished book shelf that is on my back to school list so that we can have our favorites handy in the living room again!
I wish my books looked as good as yours. Too many kids and too many wild boys. But that means they're loved, right?
The Little House was the first book I ever bought from book order at school, and it stands as an all-time fave. But your post has made me realize that it is missing from my library. How could I be so thoughtless?
Out to fix that faux pas tomorrow afternoon. Me and Barnes and Noble. We'll do it together!
I.Just.Love.Children's.Books!!!
And I love this post. I saw so many familiar and loved books on your shelves. I may just have to do a post about this myself!!:)
Cynthia Rylant (have your girls read the Cobble Street Cousins Series???)
Kevin Henkes
Mem Fox
Judith Viorst
are just a few of our favorite authors. Our trips to the library and book stores are some of our fondest memories. Thanks for this post.
Enjoy the day
Great post Sloan. I was a huge reader as a child and still am! It's so important to read to kids. I was a big fan of the Peter Rabbit books when I was little, and "The Giving Tree" is still a big favorite! Can't wait to read to our future babies. :)
-Lisa
Great post Sloan. I was a huge reader as a child and still am! It's so important to read to kids. I was a big fan of the Peter Rabbit books when I was little, and "The Giving Tree" is still a big favorite! Can't wait to read to our future babies. :)
-Lisa
love books!!! every room in our house is filled with books!!! before kids hubby and i went to estate sales to collect the old ones...when i was expecting we started collecting all the Dr. Seuss (hubby's favorite to read to the kids)...Coopers favorites are Curious George and Lhama, Lhama...Caroline loves them all!!! I have to say we don't own the little house....looks like a trip to the library!!! great post!!!
Sloan, I love this post! I, like everyone else here, LOVES book, especially children's books! I used to ask for kids books for my "future" children, for my birthday and Christmas. We have so many! I also have a ton from my childhood that my parents saved. I recognize so many on your shelves. I'll have to do a similar post sometime. :)
thanks for the birthday wishes! I hope you are enjoying the long holiday weekend!
Oh I love this so much! I'd love to answer this with a blog post!!!!
Books are such treasures. We have so many favorites!
I'll be linking back to you...this week I hope!
Have a great weekend!
Post a Comment